If the assigned Avira password is required for a product renewal or an update installation but has been forgotten, you need to remove the password protection first in order to continue with the product renewal or update installation.
Therefore, you have to start the computer in Safe Mode and perform changes in a certain Avira file.
I. Start the computer in Safe Mode
- How do I boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode?
- How do I boot Windows 8 / 8.1 in Safe Mode?
- How do I boot Windows 7/Vista/XP in Safe Mode?
II. Remove the Avira password protection
To remove the password protection you have to edit the file AVWIN.INI.
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Avira\Antivirus\CONFIG.
- Click with the right mouse button on the AVWIN.INI file and open it with the Editor.
- Edit the file under the entry [COMMON]
- Save and close the file.
- Restart your PC.