Issue: If during the Antivirus update any connection issue with the Avira update server occurs when updating Avira Antivirus, the update process is aborted.
There may be a variety of issues for this:
- Windows system settings cannot be detected.
- The update is blocked by another program with a firewall.
- You use a proxy for internet access.
Solution: Go through the following solutions one by one to solve the issue.
If you do not use a proxy server, check and correct the Antivirus settings.
1. Click the Avira icon in the taskbar.
2. Search for Antivirus and click Open.
3. Click the Settings icon in the lower-left corner of the Antivirus user interface.
4. Click PC Protection → Update → Proxy settings.
5. Click the option Do not use a proxy server.
6. Click OK to apply the settings.
Check if you have another security program with a firewall installed on your computer. Open the Windows Start menu, to see the list of the installed software.
(Start → Settings → Systems → Apps & features)
If you can identify the security program with the firewall, you can generally see and modify the list of allowed and blocked applications in the firewall's settings. Make sure that none of Avira's program files are blocked, including sched.exe and update.exe.
Usually, internet users do not need to configure a proxy, to connect their computers to the internet. If the computer is in a corporate network or if a security program installed a local proxy on it, to filter internet data, then you also have to configure these settings in the Avira software, to run Avira product updates.
Check if a proxy is set up on your computer:
1. Go to Start → Settings → Network & Internet → Proxy.
2. If the option Use a proxy server is active, write down the address and port.
3. Click Save to close the configuration window.
4. Click the Avira icon in the taskbar.
5. Search for “Antivirus” and click Open.
6. Click the Settings icon in the lower-left corner of the Antivirus user interface.
7. Go to PC Protection → Update → Proxy settings.
8. Enable the option Use this proxy server and insert the address and port you wrote down. (leave the other fields blank).