Issue: If during the Antivirus update any connection issue with the Avira update server occurs, the update process is aborted.
This issue may happen due to various reasons:
- Windows system settings cannot be detected.
- The update is blocked by another software with a firewall.
- You use a proxy for Internet access.
Solution: Go through the following solutions one by one to solve the issue.
If you do not use a proxy server, verify and correct the Antivirus settings.
1. Click the Avira icon in the taskbar.
2. Search for “Antivirus” and click Open.
3. Click the Configuration icon in the lower-left corner of the Antivirus user interface.
4. Click PC Protection → Update → Proxy settings.
5. Click the option Do not use a proxy server.
6. Click OK to apply the settings.
Check if you have another security software with a firewall installed on your computer. Open the Windows Start menu, to see the list of the installed software.
(Start → Settings → System → Apps & features)
If you can identify the security software with the firewall, you can generally see and modify the list of allowed and blocked applications in the firewall's settings. Make sure that none of Avira's program files are blocked, including sched.exe and update.exe.
Usually, most of the Internet surfers do not need to configure a proxy, to connect their computers to the Internet. If the computer is in a company network or if a security software installed a local proxy on it, to filter Internet data, then you also have to make these settings in the Avira software, to run Avira product updates.
Verify if there is a proxy set on your computer:
1. Go to Start → Settings → Network & Internet → Proxy.
2. If the option Use a proxy server is active, write down the Address and Port.
3. Click Save to close the configuration window.
4. Click the Avira icon in the taskbar.
5. Search for “Antivirus” and click Open.
6. Click the Configuration icon in the lower-left corner of the Antivirus user interface.
7. Go to PC Protection → Update → Proxy settings.
8. Enable the option Use this proxy server and insert the Address and Port you wrote down. (Leave the other fields empty).