- Make sure Avira Antivirus is up to date.
Click the Avira icon in the system tray.
- Search for your Antivirus and click Open.
- Click Check for updates.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
Open the Windows Start menu and click the Power button.
- Hold down the Shift key and click Restart.
- Click Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings → Restart.
- Within the Startup Settings window, hit the F4 function key.
- Once the system has restarted, log in as the administrator.
- Configure the scanner by opening Avira Antivirus, and clicking the Settings icon in the lower left-hand corner of your Antivirus window. Go to PC Protection → System Scanner and
within this category select the option "All files". Set the “Scanner priority” to "high" and confirm the configuration with OK.
- Start the scan by going to the left-hand panel of the main user interface, navigating to Scan → Custom Scan → and then clicking the arrow icon next to "Local drive scan".
- Restart the computer in normal mode after the scan.
- For security reasons, we recommend scanning the computer again in normal mode.