Heuristic refers to a "preliminary detection" feature that can also detect unknown viruses. It involves a complex analysis of the affected code and scanning for virus-specific functions. If the analyzed code does meet such characteristics, it is reported as suspect.
This does not mean, however, that the code is a virus for sure; false positives may occur. Please send us the files that were heuristically detected for further analysis.
Move the file to quarantine and email it to us using the Quarantine option in the Antivirus control panel or send it using the submission form on our website: submit
We will analyze it and inform you about the potential danger.
Activate/ deactivate Avira Heuristics
- Click the Avira icon in the system tray to open the Avira user interface.
- Click Security in the left menu.
- Click the module Protection options.
- Click the Settings icon of the System protection.
Heuristic scans are configured for the System Scanner and Real-Time Protection separately, therefore select the corresponding module in the left panel.
- System Scanner: System Scanner → Scan → Heuristic
- Real-Time Protection: Real-Time Protection → Scan → Heuristic
Then you can activate/deactivate heuristics in the configuration window.