Heuristic refers to a "preliminary detection" feature that can also detect unknown viruses. It involves a complex analysis of the affected code and scanning for virus-specific functions. If the analyzed code does meet such characteristics, it is reported as suspect.
This does not mean, however, that the code is a virus for sure; false positives may occur. Please send us the files that were heuristically detected for further analysis.
Move the file to quarantine and email it to us using the Quarantine option in the Antivirus control panel or send it using the submission form on our website: submit
We will analyze it and inform you about the potential danger.
Activate/ deactivate Avira Heuristics
- Click the Avira icon in your taskbar.
- Once the Avira panel opens, click Antivirus.
- Click the Settings icon on the lower left side of the Antivirus window.
Heuristic scans are configured for the System Scanner and Real-Time Protection separately, so please select the corresponding module in the left panel.
- System Scanner: System Scanner → Scan → Heuristic
- Real-Time Protection: Real-Time Protection → Scan → Heuristic
Then you can activate/deactivate Heuristics in the configuration window.