Real-Time Protection is a permanently active process. Any file that is used, copied or, accessed is scanned via this module in real-time. This prevents malware from executing; every execution of a file that triggered a detection is automatically blocked and you are notified.
In the Real-Time Protection configuration panel, you can set up what file types are scanned, if archives should be scanned too, and in addition if network attached storages and drives should be monitored.
Real-Time Protection is very detailed and can be customized completely to suit your needs.
- Click the Avira icon in your system tray.
- Search for Antivirus and click Open.
- Click the Settings icon in the lower left-hand corner of your Antivirus window.
Under PC Protection on the left, you can choose what to scan in the section Scan → Files. You can also control how many system resources are used for the scan.
- The option Archives allows detailed configuration about the depth to be scanned:
Under Drives, enabling the Monitor network drives option means that all files sent to or received from a drive/storage device on the local network are scanned. If Real-Time Protection is enabled and your system is slow, it may be worth checking this option as it may be consuming a lot of system resources.
- The subcategory Action on detection allows preconfiguration of what action should be taken if a detection occurs:
- Interactive is the default value. In this mode, a dialog will appear with each detection asking you which action you would like to take. You can either remove the file by deleting it, moving it to quarantine, renaming it, or leaving it as it is.
- Automatic lets you set up a primary default action and a secondary one if the first one does not work correctly.
- Further actions allow product events/notifications to be pushed to the default Windows event log.
- Exceptions also work in a similar way to the on-demand scanner. In addition to excluding files/folders, you can also allowed to exclude processes. Starting a program does not mean using every file is used every time. The main part of the program runs as a so-called “process”. As those processes may load files that may contain known false-positives, you will be aware of the risks. If they are huge in size and likely to sap system resources, setting up an exception can be a solution.
- Heuristic lets you enable or disable heuristics for the on-demand scanner only and select what mode of heuristic detection is used.
You can do this for each product module, making it easier to customize the product to suit your needs.
- Report - The logging has a small addition compared to our System-Scanner.
As the report file is always increasing in size — with the module constantly analyzing actions/detections/etc., and logging those events in the report — you can limit its size here.