Since a few days/weeks (hard to pinpoint exactly), Avira Antivirus (Free Version) does what seems to be a full scan of my computer (Windows 8.1 up to date) on what seems to be a daily basis.
I do not want any full scans to be performed ever, since I am very happy with the real-time protection that Avira offers (I've been using it for over 15 years now since Windows XP), and I would like to know how to stop/deactivate this "feature" that is a bug for me.
Now for more details that hopefully help you see what I mean:
- When I open the Antivirus part of Avira form the control panel, the "Run a quick scan" button is green, and right below it's almost always constantly written "Last scan was yesterday".
- Every day for many hours my external HDD (8TB) is scanned and I can see in the system monitoring that it's used by Avira Real-time protection (avguard.exe) at ~50MB/s for all these hours, which is a huge problem in terms of performance for my applications that access data on that disk.
- Now if I go into the options in "PC protection"->"System Scanner"->in the "Scan process" area, there is a checkbox that is checked that says "allow stopping the scanner", but I never see the scan happening, nor see any way of stopping it anywhere. So I cannot stop it unfortunately. I use to remember that back in the day some "Luke Filewalker" window would pop up and I could stop it, but this isn't the case and has not been for a while.
- In the whole "Scan" section of the main anitivirus window, I don't see any option to stop it either. I would like to add that in the Scheduler, there are no scans planned.
I found these 3 similar questions from the last 6 months in your forums that did not receive answers, mostly because people did not reply to your assistance requests, but I am ready to reply because I need this problem solved:
I would like to add that this problem may hvae been happening since a longer time than I think, but I have been using my computer more often now since I've been working from home the last 4 weeks because of the lockdown due to Covid-19 in my country. So my computer that was on a few hours per week before is now on more than 12 hours per day, which is why maybe these scans never had time to happen before but now they do. Unfortunately I have to use my computer for work so this is impacting me greatly.
I'd be very happy to provide as much detail as you need to solve this problem which is:
- how to permanently deactivate these scans, or at the very least be able to stop it.
Thank you for your time.
Post is closed for comments.