To perform successfully a manual reinstallation of your Avira Antivirus you have to perform first a cleanup of your current Avira Antivirus.
We recommend cleaning the registry with the "Avira Registry Cleaner" to make sure that this issue is not caused by the remnants of an old Avira installation.
First save the Avira Registry Cleaner on your desktop.
Please do not run the file yet. Follow the article and execute the file at the specified time.
I. Clean your system
1. Delete residual Avira files
- Boot your Windows System in Safe Mode.
◦ Windows 7
◦ Windows 8 / 8.1
◦ Windows 10
- Make sure that your folder options are set as follows.
Click: Start → Control Panel → Folder Options → View → Show Hidden Files and Folders → OK
- Delete the following folders if they exist:
◦ C:\Program Files\Avira
◦ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira
- Restore the default folder view settings.
2. Remove registry entries with "Avira Registry Cleaner"
- Right-click the file "avira_registry_cleaner_en.exe" that you previously saved on your desktop and select Run as administrator.
- Click Accept.
- Activate the Avira Antivirus control box.
- Click Remove.
- Close the program again.
2. Reset the Windows LSP (Winsock)
Only for Windows 7
- Click Start → All Programs → Accessories.
- Right click "Command Prompt" and run it as administrator.
- Type the following command in the command line:
netsh winsock reset
- Press Enter.
- Restart your computer.
II. Reinstall Avira Antivirus
- Log in to your Avira account.
- Click on the left menu panel the Subscriptions button.
- Search for “Antivirus” and click Install.
- The previously acquired Avira Antivirus package will be reinstalled, and the license will be activated automatically.