If you experience installation difficulties, follow the steps below to isolate and correct the cause.
Does your device meet the system requirements?
To install Avira Security, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or higher with the newest updates, hotfixes, and service packs installed
- CPU type: Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 Processor or faster (with support for the SSE2 instructions set)
- RAM: 2 GB RAM or more
- Disk Space: Minimum 2 GB of free disk space (additional space for temporary and quarantine files needed)
- Additional requirements: To install, you’ll need administrator rights, an internet connection, and a web browser. For automatic antivirus updates and optimal malware detection, you’ll need an internet connection
Are you connected to the Internet?
- During the installation, required product files must be added. Without a continuous internet connection, the installation will be aborted.
Is another antivirus program activ on the system?
- Multiple antivirus programs on a system can interfere with each other. Uninstall the existing antivirus program and reinstall Avira.
- Verify via Windows settings that you have the latest Microsoft updates installed.
Click Start → Settings → Updates & Security → Check for updates.
- Install the latest Microsoft.NET Framework 4.
Under certain circumstances, there may be remnants of older Avira instances on your device. These can hinder a successful new installation. We recommend you clean the system before proceeding with a new installation.
1. Boot your Windows System in safe mode:
2. Make sure your folder options are set as follows.
Click: Start → Control Panel → Folder Options → View → Show Hidden Files and Folders → OK
3. Delete the following Avira folders if they exist:
◦ C:\Program Files\Avira
◦ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira
4. Restore the default folder view settings.
5. Restart your computer.
6. Reinstall Avira Security.